Background

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Park

I thought I would have nothing to write about until Stanlie and I's trip to the park.....

The walk started like every other, Stanlie overly excited (if he only knew we were going to the same spot we went yesterday). He has been working on learning to sit...so far he just does it whenever he feels like it, and even if you spank him, it doesn't even phase him. Anyways, we trotted over to the park, which has been extra crowded due to the beautiful weather.

I'm sure I've told everyone already, but I am a huge fan of dog harnesses. Some people hate them, or refer to them as a "doggie bra," but Stanlie's harness definitely saved his life today. I'm not sure if Stanlie has ever had an encounter with a squirrel or not, but today they were united. I was in my own world as usual and as he went charging up a tree faster than a cat, the poor little squirrel feared for its life. Keep in mind that the squirrel was not anywhere close to us, it was clear across the park, therefore Stanlie took off like I was just going to let him go for it, but did not have enough leash to come close to the squirrel therefore he sprung right back to me. I've never seen him run that fast, but he definitely learned that his leash is not as long as he thinks it is. Moral of the story, if he had not had his harness on it would have hung is neck.

I think it's like common courtesy to pick up your dogs poop if he feels the need to poop in a public territory. I like the whole concept, but I am not about to pick up dog poop. Side note: Stanlie pooped three times at the park today. I do not find it attractive to walk around with a plastic bag while walking your dog. And then whenever they poop the minute you step outside, which Stanlie always does, you are stuck with it for the entire walk. So I usually try to pretend like I don't notice him pooping, and typically he is pretty quick.

As we rounded the corner, we came to the playground. That's where we met Zoe and Penelope. The sweetest 2 year old twin girls I have ever met. I was approached by their father as we were walking and he asked if his girls could pet Stanlie. Of course I said that Stanlie loves children, even though I don't think he has ever been around kids.  They giggled and I explained to Mom, Jenny that I did not pick this dog out, Marshall rescued him and gave him a great home. As we said bye to Zoe and Penelope, I first thought how lucky they were to have such cute twin girls. Being a big fan of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen growing up I have always wanted twins. Either two boys or two girls. Identical, not fraternal. Although it seems like an overload, I just wanted to dress them the same, but not the exact same, one in stripes the other in plaid. Unfortunately, that's not really plannable, it just kinda happens.

As our walk came to an end, we met Rockie the pit bull. Stanlie really isn't the best with other animals, he does this growling thing like he's gonna rip the other dog to shreds, even though if he ever got in a fight he would probably loose. Anyways, Rockie was being walked by Annabelle. I had no intentions of saying hi to Rockie, and I don't think Stanlie did either, but Annabelle took the initiative. I let Stanlie sniff a little bit to insure Rockie that he was a dog just like him and was not to be eaten for dinner. Annabelle explained that Rockie was the sweetest dog I would ever meet. My thought: yeah right, that dog would eat mine and Stanlie's head off just by looking at him weird. Luckily we are both still in one piece unharmed, and I don't care if we ever see Rockie or Annabelle ever again.

I know that sometimes dogs can be a pain, but if you are a dog owner, remember that you're their best friend. And if you're ever having a bad day, just look at your dog, they are usually smiling and can make your day better. It doesn't take money or expensive things to make a dog happy, give them a stick and nice walk and they are content. :)

Love to all

No comments:

Post a Comment